So it wasn't actually candy, it was a Cliff Bar. I might as well have been a stranger offering candy though, because contrary to what I expected, people are not always flattered when you try to give them something for free.
I had an inkling that giving something to a stranger might prove somewhat difficult. I read once about a teacher who gave each of her students five one-dollar bills and charged them with giving away all five in five attempts (one dollar per attempt). Contrary to the student's expectations, it was very difficult to even give away one of the bills. People are often distrusting of strangers offering something for free, and in that case were more inclined to reject the offering.
So, with that in mind, I set out to give away a Cliff Bar. I figured that BYU students waiting in line for a test at the testing center would be more inclined to accept the free gift (considering their somewhat dire position), so that is where is started.
In short, I did give away the Cliff Bar, and it was awkward, but I hope it made the person happy. I'd like to think it did; I know I would be excited to get a free Cliff Bar.
No comments:
Post a Comment